Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

July 24, 2019

Micro-dosing, Magic Mushrooms, Michael Pollan and Smoking Toads?

I listened to two podcasts that I enjoyed at the 'Conversations' website recently.
One about Laurie Lawrence, the famous Aussie swim coach (my boys learnt to swim at one of his swim schools and I got to shake hands with him and have a chat one day when he dropped in for a visit) and one about Michael Pollan's trippy adventures and research about psychedelics -
Micro-dosing, magic mushrooms, and Michael Pollan
"In 2006 writer Michael Pollan became aware of new research into the therapeutic effects of psychedelics.
He found that drugs such as LSD and psilocybin (the active ingredient in magic mushrooms) can help to alleviate depression, anxiety and addiction.
Then he met terminally ill patients who administered large doses of these substances, and who then found themselves to be happy and at peace.
Michael was nearly 60 when he took LSD for the first time.
Later he smoked the venom of the Sonoran Desert toad to 'shake the snow-globe' of his mind."

A never-ending snow-globe GIF from 'Black Mirror'
I had to laugh when I heard Michael mention smoking the venom of a toad in the podcast and then I saw Michael was giving a talk at the Sydney Opera House on July 20th, 2019 at the same time I saw a news article in a July 19th newspaper about a toad spotted in the outskirts of Sydney.
Toads are a huge pest in Australia, witch which I've written about in posts on this blog before -
WICCAPEDIA 🌟?
I guess we now know why witches like to keep a toad around the home?-)
Toad trippin?-)
Rabbits are also a big, introduced pest running wild in Australia, so it's a bit of a coincidence that these two animals are associated with drug trippin I think.
Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit ... Hole?.
And I thought it was ironic that Michael was giving his drug talk at the Sydney Opera House on July, 20th, 2019, as that is the day of the 50th anniversary of the alleged moon walk.
Maybe he could have titled his talk 'Psychonauts and Astronauts: One Big Trip for Mankind'?-)
Splendour in the Grass, the Simpson Desert Festival and Drugs?
I might have to get a copy of Michael's new book, especially if I need something to read while traveling, as I would imagine the book would be something to trip out with:-)
The guy who interviewed Michael Pollan in that podcast writes a pretty good book himself, if you like to read real life 

No comments:

Post a Comment