Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 2, 2020

"God is Not a One Trick Pony" Rick Archer?

I pulled that quote in the title of this post out of a talk I just listened to given by Rick Archer at a SAND conference this year
(the above You Tube).
Rick is the host of 'The Buddha at the Gas Pump' podcast, which is one of my favourite podcasts, not that I've listened to anywhere near the 500 or so podcasts Rick has in the can over at the website, and nor do I plan to listen to them all.
I like Rick's approach to exploring spirituality and how he brings guests on his show to listen to them try to tell him just what they feel that the elephant in the room is when it comes to "God" ... or maybe that should be what they think the Schrodinger's Cat in the box is?
I usually don't like taking a quote from someone's speech or writing and attributing it to them like people tend to do in the modern western world of media, as most times that quote is just a parroting or rephrasing of some words that they heard someone else use or rephrase and so on down the line.
But I liked those words I heard Rick say about "God" not being a one trick pony and I think it summed up his talk and my thoughts about "God", too.
I think it is very hard to put God into any box metaphorically, no matter how much us humans would like to.
I thought it was rather synchy Rick should mention the phrase "one trick pony", as I've been reading a magazine that I bought on a road-trip in 2016 titled 'JESUS: Rediscover His Final Days on Earth' -
Manilla, NSW
I bought these magazines (picutred above) at the time from a Manilla (New South Wales, Australia) newsagent, not out of some belief of the stories people like to tell me about these subjects on the magazine covers, I bought them to try to understand the pop-cultural world that I grew up in, and am in, as an Australian 50+ year old male at the time, who grew up with people around me telling me such stories and shaping the world that I live in, whether I believe such stories personally or not.    
I just happened to read about the triumphal entry of Jesus into Jerusalem on a donkey not long before listening to Rick's SAND talk, and while I'm technically a baptized and confirmed member of the Liberal Catholic Church who happens to be from a mixed line of mainly secular Jewish families who weren't really that much into religious practices, I personally see the Judaeo/Christian religion as a collection of mythology pinched from other older cultural and religious practices.
I love the ideas behind taking communion and becoming one in the Christ's body, as I believe that we are all from and a part of the one "God" anyway.
Although my spiritual beliefs are somewhere between Christianity, Taoism and Buddhist practices.
I don't think it matters too much if Jesus was a real person or not, as the ideas behind that myth/story are quite magically powerful and will mostly work in the mystery we refer to as "God".
I find it interesting the stories people like to tell other people about "God" and what "God" wants you to believe in.
Personally, I think God talks to us all in in our own personal way as we venture through life.
And if life is all set out for us as some people believe, then maybe God doesn't need to talk to us at all throughout this predetermined ride that we are on?
Personally I think that the ride is much more predetermined than we would care to believe, but you still have to play the game like it is all free-will, because you have forgotten the lines in the role you were sent down here to play, so from down here the play/movie would seem like one big chaotic unscripted mess ... until we took the horse by the reins, that is, right?-)
It was not clear what she was saying as she
subsequently tugged him toward her
Namaste?-)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Darren, thanks for the post. The "Mention" utility brought it to my attention. Glad you enjoyed the talk. - Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Rick, but what's the "Mention" utility.
    Kinda sounds like the NSA:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://mention.com/en/. It's like Google Alerts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, thanks Rick.
    Haven't heard of that before, but I'm far from tech savvy anyway.
    I've only just recently traded in my two tin cans and piece of sting for an iPhone 6 :-)

    ReplyDelete