Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

January 4, 2020

This Book Will Change My Life Again?

When I regained consciousness on the late morning of January 1st, 2020, I looked at the calendars that I had only just bought the day before, which were now hanging on my kitchen walls, as I made my head a plunger full of strong black coffee and I realized that I hadn't made a New Year's resolution for 2020.
Well, it's too late now you bonehead, I thought to myself and took my coffee upstairs to my computer room to check the morning 
news headlines.
Still kicking myself for not making a New Year's resolution the night before, I turned around to look into my bookcase to see what books I have in there still to read and saw a familiar looking book that I wasn't sure if I had ever read right through, which was titled
'This Book Will Change Your Life'.
My motto is that every book I read changes my life to some degree and I remembered writing a post about that, which I couldn't recall whether that orange book was the catalyst for me writing that post or not.
So I looked up that old post on my blog and found out that it was a talk I attended at the Byron Writers Festival in 2017, which was tiled 'This Book Changed My Life' -
The Last Book I Read Changed My Life and So Has Every Other Book I Have Read
Susan Wyndham, Tracey Spicer, Barry Jones
 and Adam Suckling
As I'm reading through that old 2017 post in the link above, I realize that I'm still yet to read Barry Jones' books, that I still haven't finished reading 'Eat, Pray, Love', even though I know how it ends, having seen the cheesy movie twice and knowing how that would all play out at least until the end of 2019 for
Elizabeth Gilbert, who just hit the big 50 in 2019.
And there was Ram Dass' book 'Be Here Now' mentioned in that post, too.
Ram Dass passed away last month/year/decade and I had also written a post about his passing away in December, 2019 -
Not Here Now?
Oddly enough, going to that writers festival nearly changed my life in a bad way, as I wasn't that far from a truck that blew up on the freeway, closing the freeway for at least three hours and making me miss half a day of talks.
Tex Perkins in conversation with Bec Mac at the BBWF in 2017
By the time I got to that festival it was Tex Perkins' talk that kicked off my weekend, and oddly enough it was Tex Perkins I wrote about singing on my living room TV set on December 31st, 2019 -
Tex Perkins Fires Off at PM ScoMo on a Night at the 2020 Fireworks?
Do you get the feeling that it's not just books that change your life, it's everyday life itself that changes your life and the life of others, like some giant cosmic choreographed (?) pin-ball machine.
So it wasn't the book 'This Book Will Change Your Life' that inspired me to write that post, or was it?
As I know that at some point I had started reading it and doing some exercises the book had suggested.
And then I found this old post, which confirmed my suspicions -
Thank G#d It's Friday
I'd picked it off the shelf on day 69 in 2017 and maybe did 2 weeks worth of exercises in the book before for some reason or other putting it back on the shelf to get covered in dust once more.
But looking at the book on the 1st of January, 2020 I heard the book angel whispering into my ear that today would be the perfect day to start reading that book again, and this time I could start at day #1 and see how long (just like a New Year's resolution) I could keep going, before I grew tied of it and put it back into the bookshelf, or gave it away -
The Book Angel (of Death?) and the Shadow Side of Life?
January 1st and a White Rabbit Hole?
Learn to play 'Chopsticks':-)
So I looked at the exercise/s for day 1 in the book and thought, why not?
I skipped doing the one press-up, as I wanted to get medical advice before starting an exercise program;-)
And I skipped the strip-tease as I was already naked, but wearing a pair of thongs on my feet (flip-flops, as Americans call them), so triple-tying shoelaces wasn't practical with the footwear I had on.
I did increase my typing speed to four words a minute by employing another finger and I already had mastered 'Chopsticks' on the piano, not to mention 'Mary Had a Little Lamb'.  
Jaywalking in a pedestrian zone was out of the question for me on New Year's Day as I was naked and still drunk, so that could end badly if I was nicked by a police officer.
Setting my clocks to the right time was probably the best idea on the day 1 page, so I did that.
For my white lie I whispered (very quietly) that I hope for the Brisbane Broncos to do well this year in the NRL competition, which was really a humongous lie, because I really hope that they finish dead last without winning a game all year in 2020:-)
As for fantasizing about a partner I don't have one anymore, nor want one.
All the rest of the exercises looked pretty lame, and my middle name is "Sydney", so there you go.
Day 2's exercise was to look at everyone like they were the 
next great love in your life.
Thank God I was staying home all day on day two of 2020, as the last love of my life turned out to be not so great at all.
It's the single life for me thanks.
The day 3 page told me to throw something away that I liked, so that was the end for the book.
I picked it up and threw it into the kitchen bin:-)
But then I looked at the book laying in the bottom of the bin and thought what am I doing, I can't throw a good book like that into my kitchen bin ... as it's got a recycling sign on it, so it belongs in my recycling bin.
So I took it out of my kitchen bin and threw it in my recycling bin:-)
And I was so looking forward to day 4 where the exercise was to colour in a map of the world, as I wanted a map to hang on my wall like Richard Dolan has on his wall;-)
2019: UFOs Became Real?!
I don't know what to do with myself now that my book didn't even see out the first week of January:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment