Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

April 12, 2019

FISHPEOPLE?

I watched a documentary on Netflix (Australia) last night called 'FISHPEOPLE', where a group of people tell their reasons as to why they feel at home in the ocean.
I didn't quite know what to expect from this film before I watched it.
I thought it might focus on the current fascination with all things mermaid doing the pop-cultural route at the moment and why people fantasize about being half fish, half human.
But 'FISHPEOPLE' focused more on water based hobbies like surfing mainly, as well as spear fishing, marathon ocean swimming, diving and ocean photography and just what drew these people to those hobbies.
Unfortunately for me I'm the "some" people referred to in the first sentence in that screenshot above.
I love being near the water, sailing on the water, but not being in the water.
My early childhood and teenage experiences of being in the water have MK-ULTRAed my brain out of enjoying or feeling safe swimming in deep ocean water.
This album cover kinda sums up my
feelings
of being in deep water
That clip above isn't from the film, but 'FISHPEOPLE' does feature Kimi Werner diving and spear fishing among the sharks.
I was surprised to see Dave Rastovich as one of the FISHPEOPLE in this film, as I recently paid money to see Dave and a few other surfers on stage at Byron Bay, but Dave didn't turn up on the night, he went out surfing the waves being produced by a cyclone just off the coast -
The Surf Gurus?
Mark Occhilupo on stage at Byron Bay, Feb, 2019
Not being that much into surfing myself I didn't know who 
Dave Rastovich was on the night I went down to mainly see 
Mark Occhilupo, so it didn't worry me that Dave didn't show up on the night.
Although I do know a bit about him now, after the event and seeing a few clips of him in action.
While 'FISHPEOPLE' is a great work of art as a whole movie, the section featuring the photography of Ray Collins was breathtaking ... but in a good not drowning type of way:-)
He seemed to take a lot of photos in the surf off the coast of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia.
I've only been to Wollongong a few times in my life, and I have wandered along the beach down there back in 2016 when I stayed in the gong overnight, but maybe Dave should snap a few pictures of the sky down there as well, as I've never seen anything quite like the Wollongong skies in real life, as I did that morning -
Weird Wollongong Skies
My walk in Wollongong back in 2016
What I also found interesting was that 'FISHPEOPLE' was presented by Patagonia.
Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia
I knew I had seen that name patagonia somewhere before;-)
The Shamanic Artists of Byron Bay: The Medicine of Karuah and Sean O'Shea
 I guess I'm just a beach-bum when it comes to being a FISHPERSON:-)
Willem Dafoe in Aquaman (2018)
At Eternity's Gate?

No comments:

Post a Comment