Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

August 7, 2022

Chinese Whispers ... or Telephone 📞 ☎️?

I brought up the children’s game of Chinese Whispers in my post about Ryan Bledsoe getting Jon Ronson’s name wrong in his and his sidekick’s review of ‘Stranger Things’  season 4, as us older Australians grew up knowing the game ... or the game Telephone, as Americans and other non-Australians might have grown up knowing the game.
And this all made me think back to the new horror movie I saw last week with my youngest son, ‘The Black Phone’:-)
I guess memory can be as faulty as an old black phone at times, no matter how much we try to recall our past ... but at least cell phones of today have cameras to help us recall:-)
I even took this picture below with my cell phone of the red phone on the wall just inside Cinema 2 for old times sake, as I was leaving the cinema:-)
Stranger Things Than Bledsoe Said So👽👺?🤑
Chinese whispers (some Commonwealth English) or telephone (American English and Canadian English) is an internationally popular children's game.
Various reasons have been suggested for naming the game after the Chinese, but there is no concrete explanation. One suggested reason is a widespread British fascination with Chinese culture in the 18th and 19th centuries during the Enlightenment. Another theory posits that the game's name stems from the supposed confused messages created when a message was passed verbally from tower to tower along the Great Wall of China.
This movie is set in 1978, the time I was a teenager, and features The Sweet’s song ‘Fox on the Run’ in the movie soundtrack, which I found nostalgic, as I wrote about seeing The Sweet play live just across the road from this cinema and what the band meant to me as a teenager in this old post -
Sweet Concert On Wednesday Night

No comments:

Post a Comment