Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

June 9, 2020

Back to the Drive-in in 2020?

A winning cartoon caption in a Queensland newspaper in April, 2020
In 2020 when all of the cinemas, music venues and football stadiums closed because of the Covid 19 virus, it was the drive-ins, or in the case of the Brisbane area ... the drive-in, which opened first -
Half Infected Aussies Have the 'Mutant Strain'?
The New Mutant poster on the drive-in candy-bar wall
And then the Brisbane Broncos football club had the brilliant idea of turning their club car-park into a drive-in to watch their return 2020 season match against the Parramatta Eels.
Now that was a horror show I would have loved to have watched from my car when the Parramatta Eels slaughtered the Broncos again:-)
Better still would have been the coming attraction to that drive-in of the Roosters vs Broncos, where the Roosters would win 59-0.
Of course the Queensland newspaper had to laugh up another Sharks drug scandal 
My Sharks tattoo on my left arm
Now Russell Morris, who is famous for singing 'The Real Thing' has come up with the drive-in concert to be held at the Cleveland Showgrounds on Saturday the 13th of June, 2020.
Just What is "The Real Thing" Anyway?
I hate to rain on Russell's parade, but ...
I was going to buy a ticket to Russell's drive-in concert for all the nostalgic reasons, as I used to play football at, and go to the Cleveland Showgronds for the annual Strawberry Festival when I was a kid, but it looks like rain is forecast all weekend, so I'll save my $49 dollars for a rainy day, and give it a miss:-)
On the subject of "the real thing", the last movie I saw at the drive-in was 'Jumanji: The Next Level', with my eldest son - 
Hypnotic Regression and Jumanji: The Next Level?
A week ago I asked my two sons if they were interested in seeing 'Jaws' at the drive-in, which was a one night only screener for
June the 5th, 2020.
One son had to work that night, and one wasn't interested, so I was going to go by myself, but with admission being $35+$1.50 booking fee, and then having to pay for food on top of that, I pulled out in the last hour and stayed home.
Ironically, part of my motivation for not going was I had received an e-mail earlier from Bluesfest telling me they were trying to raise $25,000 for a prosthetic leg for an Indigenous dancer, who I had seen dance down there before at the festival, so I threw the $50 I would have paid to the drive-in into the fund for a prosthetic leg for Jungala (Uncle Pete).
Bluesfest 2020: The Festival That Never Took Place?
Ironically, on the Sunday after the 'Jaws' screening a surfer got killed by a shark biting the surfer's leg off,
according to early reports, at a beach not really all that far (as far as the crow flies that is) from the drive-in.
A surfer has died after a shark attack in northern New South Wales
Maybe I'll just stick to viewing the the tamer movies until the cinemas open again.
That's if I can remember what nights they are playing:-)
#MeanToo?
Twilight Club?

No comments:

Post a Comment